A few weeks ago we were delighted to have cactus cupcake extraordinaire, Alana Jones-Mann, visit the Lars Studio for our Cactus Coloring book reveal party! She flew in early in the morning and flew out late that same day! Talk about a trooper! Alana was our guest-of-honor at the party, showing us how to make her delicious desert masterpieces step-by-step. It was AMAZING. But, we didn’t want anyone to feel left out, so we created a quick cactus cupcake tutorial video so you too can create these spiky sweets! We collaborated with the super talented Trisha Zemp to make this adorable stop-motion video that will leave you crazy for cacti. You’ll be surprised at how simple the process actually is, so make sure to give it a whirl! We included written instructions as well to help you on your way!
- Green Frosting
- White frosting
- 2 cupcakes
- Crushed graham crackers
- White Sprinkles
- Sugar flower
- Off-set spatula
- Spread the top of one cupcake with white frosting and then dip into the crushed graham crackers
- Crumble the second cupcake in a bowl and combine with some green frosting. Form into a ball, like a cake pop.
- Adhere the green cake ball to the center of the white cupcake with a bit of green frosting.
- Pipe lines along the outside of the ball, creating the appearance of cactus ridges.
- Add sprinkles along the ridges to act as prickles and the sugar flower to the top.