Did you have to wear the
terrible traditional graduation cap and gown when you graduated? If you graduated from high school and/or college, you most likely did. I’m all for customs and traditions, but man, couldn’t we wear something that resembled something other than a large garbage bag? It is such a momentous occasion and involves lots of photos. We decided to add a bit of pizazz with a fun paper flower graduation tassel!
If you’re graduating in the near future, have a friend who’s about to take the leap, or maybe a daughter or niece, this paper flower graduation tassel is perfect for the occasion. We’ve provided both PDF and SVG files for the flower so you can easily print them off or use your machine cutter. This way, you’ll be able to take your next steps into the future with confidence even Elle Woods would be proud of! “What, like it’s hard?”
Fun fact: For graduation in Sweden, female students all wear white dresses and males wear suits! Can we please jump on that bandwagon?
Continue for printable flower template!
Paper Flower Graduation Tassel
- Flower and leaf Template PDF
- Flower and leaf Template SVG
- 2 pieces of Gold String, one 20 inches long, one 6 inches long
- Wooden beads
- Cardstock in pink, orange, yellow, and mint
- Acrylic Paint in similar shades
- Hot pink crepe paper
- Small hole punch
- Hot glue gun
- Cut a piece of crepe paper 3 inches x 6 inches
- Fringe the long edge of the crepe paper by cutting slits 2.5 inches up into the 3-inch long side of the crepe paper.
- Glue the end of the 20-inch gold string to one end of the fringed crepe paper, on the upper edge
- Roll up the crepe paper, so the string is in the center of the tassel, and secure with glue.
- With the 6-inch gold string, wrap around the top, unfringed area of the tassel and secure with glue.
- Cut out 7 paper flowers and 3 leaves using the templates, using various colors of cardstock
- Paint on details and bend petals if desired.
- Thread on paper flowers alternating with 1 to 2 wooden beads and a few leaves, until you have about 4.5 inches of flowers and beads. The whole tassel will be about 7 inches long.
- End with 3 beads on the top, tie a knot and secure with glue, so the beads stay in place.
- Wrap the excess thread around the graduation cap button so tassel hangs down at desired length.
Photography by Anna Killian | Crafting by Rebecca Young