Sometimes you come across an image that you just can’t seem to get out of your mind. Such was the case with this photo. Can a dress be any more perfect? I would argue, no, it cannot. But, since I’m assuming that perfect sequin frock would cost my whole life savings, I knew I needed to come up with a different interpretation of it. Insert: the Giant Paper Sequin Background! The perfect party backdrop for a girl who loves her sparkles. All you need for this easy DIY is glitter paper in a variety of colors, some straws and a pair of scissors. This project is ideal for a group, so get your girlfriends together, turn on the Bachelorette, and cut out circles! Sequins have never looked better.
Continue for the full DIY!
Giant Paper Sequin Background
- Glitter or sparkle paper in a variety of colors, including multiple shades of each color
- Scissors, circle paper punch, die-cut machine
- Iridescent straws
- Plastic straws
- Hot glue gun
- paper clips
- Cut out circles in a variety of sizes. Use whatever method you choose to cut out circles.
- Cut the iridescent straws in thirds or in half.
- Once you have enough circles to cover your desired area, group them by color. This is how you’ll apply them to the wall.
- When applying them to the wall, you want to create dimension. You can do this in a variety of ways: photo risers, foam core, or tape rolls.
- For even more dimension, cut straws into 1″-3″ pieces. Use hot glue to secure a straw piece to the back of a circle. Then use hot glue to adhere the other side of the straw to the back of a piece of masking tape and apply to the wall.
- You can also punch a small hole to the top of a circle and use stretched out paper clips to hang the circle and stick into the wall (Use existing wall holes, unless you don’t mind making holes in your walls!)
- Cover entire wall, grab a disco ball, and wear all things shiny and sparkly!