I hope you had a great weekend remembering 9/11 and those who were affected. There was so much goodness coming out from something so bad.
So, a few weeks ago, a Ukrainian friend from my Danish class asked me to teach her how to make the speech bubbles for her upcoming wedding. My sister had made the two below and I was thrilled with the spice they added to our photography session with Ali
. We wrote “I love you” and “I love you more” in Danish and English respectively and she wanted hers in Russian and Danish, since she too married a Danish man.
3 acrylic paints of your choice for background and lettering
Flat polyester filling
Fabric for backing (optional)
1. With a Sharpie, create the outline of the speech bubble you want to create on a large piece of cardboard.
2. Cut out the shape with the x-acto knife.
3. Lay the flat polyester filling on top of the cardboard as padding and hot glue it down. I couldn’t find it here so I used squares and laid them like tiles, then cut around.
4. Lay the bubbles on the canvas face down and cut around it leaving 1″ in excess
5. Using scissors, cut slits into the canvas every couple of inches to create the circular shape
6. Glue gun the canvas slits to the back of the cardboard.
7. With the color of your choice, paint the canvas.
8. When it’s done drying, write your phrase with a pencil then paint it with a contrasting color.
9. (optional)Glue gun a fun fabric to the back side of the bubble. This won’t be seen in the pictures. Just a nice detail.