Picnics just became infinitely more delightful with the advent of the watermelon picnic blanket, or at least we like to think so. This tablecloth turned picnic blanket is made with some love and care to gather friends and family for some good times out in the summer sun. Just add some delicious food, outdoor games, and some fun activities and you’re set! AND! See how to make the DIY watermelon picnic blanket below!
- round white cotton tablecloth (here’s one!)
- green and pink dye prepared according to instructions
- clothes pins
- black fabric paint
- paint brush
- black Pom Pom trim
1. Fold a round table cloth in half , then in quarters, and again until you are life with a small triangular section
2. Mark with clothes pins where you want the green dye to end along the outer edge and where you want the pink dye to end. Leave a white gap between the two colors.
3. Dip edge of tablecloth into green dye, stopping at clothes pin. Keep cloth submerged for approximately 5 minutes or until desired color
4. Dip innermost part of tablecloth into the pink dye, stopping at the second pair of clothes pins. Submerge approximately 5 minutes or until desired color is reached
5. Let rest for 20 minutes, then remove clothes pins and spread cloth out to continue drying for a few hours or overnight
6. Hand paint seeds onto blanket in a radial pattern, being careful not to let paint leak through cloth. Let dry completely
7. Sew Pom Pom trim onto outer edge of blanket