I gave a sneak peek of the delicious dinner party menu for our Halloween vanitas party (read more about the party here
) with the printable menu cards
and guys, you will want to bookmark/pin/note/dream about this menu. It’s beyond. If you remember from the Midsummer party
, we partnered up with the girls from Ramblin Rose Cafe who created this out of this world menu. These girls have a knack for making delicious, healthy food that’s also gorgeous. And they have graciously provided all the recipes for you. SCORE! You’ll get dishes like:
Roasted root vegetables with honey orange vinaigrette
Autumn Harvest Board
Roasted Garlic and Cauliflower soup
plus a delicious beverage to wash it all down. This dinner party menu is autumnal, flavorful, and beautiful! Go ahead, bookmark!
Food and food styling by Ramblin Rose Cafe
Art directed by Brittany Jepsen
See the full recipes below
Dinner party menu: Roasted Root Vegetables with honey orange vinaigrette
- Red beets, golden beets, rutabaga, black turnip, parsnip, and rainbow carrots
- Olive oil
- 1 c. black rice
- 2 c. water
- 1/4 inch slice of ginger
- 1 star anise
- Big pinch of sea salt
- Cracked black pepper
- 1/2 c. hazelnuts, toasted and roughly chopped (for garnish)
Honey Orange Vinaigrette
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 c. honey wine vinegar
- 1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Cracked black pepper
- For the vinaigrette: place everything in a jar with a tight lid and shake to combine. Taste and adjust with sea salt and cracked pepper to your liking.
- Rinse black rice in a strainer under running water to get rid of excess starch. Place rinsed rice, water, ginger, star anise, salt, and pepper in a pot with a lid. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a gentle simmer. Cook for 25030 minutes until water is absorbed and rice is tender. Remove from heat and leave lid for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork, remove star anise and ginger.
- Meanwhile, rustically cut a variety of root vegetables. Toss in olive oil, sea salt, and cracked pepper. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast at 400 degrees until tender (about 30 minutes).
- Toss rice in vinaigrette and pour onto platter. When vegetables are done roasting, arrange on top and finish with extra vinaigrette, sea salt, cracked pepper, and toasted hazelnuts.
Dinner party menu: Roasted Garlic and Cauliflower Soup
- 2 heads of cauliflower
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 1 onion
- Olive oil
- Veggie stock to cover
- Sea salt
- Cracked pepper
- Chili oil
- 1/2 c. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. red chili flakes
- In a small pot, bring oil and chili flakes to a simmer, then turn off and let steep for about 30 minutes to let the chili infuse into the oil.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Cut the top of the garlic bulb off, drizzle with olive oil, and wrap it in tin foil. Roast the whole garlic bulb until soft and golden.
- Roughly chop onion and sauté in olive oil until translucent. Season with sea salt and cracked pepper. Roughly chop cauliflower. Add to onions and season again. When cauliflower is tender and golden, cover with veggie stock.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic out of the papery bulb into the soup pot. Blend soup with an immersion blender or high speed blender until smooth. Taste and season with more sea salt and cracked pepper if necessary.
- Finish with the chili oil and a drizzle of yogurt
Dinner party menu: Autumn Harvest Board
- Artisan bread, torn
- Artisan cheeses– we used Humboldt Fog Goat Cheese, Teahhive Cheddar Cheese, and a French Roquefort Blue Cheese
- Orchard fruit, sliced
- Figs, cut in half
- Pomegranate, deseeded
- Butter and flakey sea salt
- Spicy dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- Big wooden board to serve on
A few pointers when arranging a harvest board:
- Use a big enough board. Better to have the contrast of wood showing than all the good stuff rolling off.
- Place the cheeses and bread down first. Everything else can be scattered around and made to fit.
- Keep each ingredient clumped somewhat together, to keep it easier to dish from.
- If using honeycomb, place on the board at the edge. The honey starts to seep out of the comb as soon as it is cut.
Dinner party menu: Pomegranate Ginger Elixir
- Pomegranate juice (chilled)
- Ginger beer (chilled)
- Combine in individual glasses or make a big pitcher. Serve chilled.
These foods look *almost* too gorgeous to eat. To complete the dinner party menu, try our vanilla bean skull cake for dessert! And to go along with these dinner party recipes, check out our full post about how to throw a beautiful and spooky Halloween party!