Have you seen these bright colored cotton ball light sets that are super common outside the US, by chance? Jordan Ferney of Oh Happy Day spotted them while living in Paris, and opened up Bright Lab Lights in 2014 as a US distributor. Hooray! They come in a variety of beautiful colors that you can custom pick out and they come in the prettiest box. The lights alone are gorgeous, but in that box they are perfect for gift giving, which I’ve done a number of times now.
We thought it would be fun to jazz them up for a party or home decor so we came up with this flower party garland, which is so so easy! We even have templates for you! We topped it off with some tassels and gold leafed beads and such. Too cute!
These are what the string of lights looked like with flowers before we added all the additional adornments:
Cute, right?! But they needed something even more!
- Bright Lab Lights (we chose the smaller strand)
- paper in the colors of your choice
- craft cutter or scissors
- wooden beads and discs
- crepe paper
- glue gun
To make the tassels:
- Stretch out your crepe paper
- Cut strips vertically into the grain
- Twist in the middle of the paper and twist the two sides together.
- Glue the two sides together
- Add string like a Christmas ornament and attach to the string of lights.
To make the gold leaf wood beads:
- Glue the gold leaf glue onto the bead and leaf it
- String the beds through a string with a long needle
- Attach the beads onto the light strings
To make the gold leaf accordion fans:
- Add gold leaf to the bottom of a 3″ paper
- Score the paper at every 1/4″
- Fold the paper in an accordion fold
- Glue the fan together
- Add a cut circle to the back to hold it together and glue
- Bring a needle through the fan to attach it with string to the string of lights.
How to add the flowers:
- Cut the flowers from the templates
- There are two pieces per cotton ball. Simply insert it behind each ball with the opening provided. That’s it!
We had fun adding in a mix of tassels, flowers, beads, and fans to give it a cool and full look. Try it with your own color palette and other adornments!
Photography by Anna Killian | Crafting by Ashley Isenhour | Styling by Brittany Jepsen | location provided by Merrilee Liddiard of Mer Mag