Block printing is an art form we have been obsessed with for a long time. You can use multiple materials for stamping a print: including rubber, a pre-made stamp, wood, and more. However, today we are using a material you probably have on hand already – a potato! Keep reading to learn how you AND your kids can use your dinner to make a piece of unique art.
If you have already tried stamping with a potato, try this tutorial here or here. But if this is your first time diving into bold and colorful world of block printing, you have come to the right place!
Perhaps our favorite thing about this project is it is just as fun for kids or adults! The short material list and simple shapes make it a very kid-friendly craft. However, this is just a starting point for any design you want to try! Try out more intricate design at any skill level.
How to stamp with a potato
- Acrylic or fabric paint
- Fabric or paper surface you want to print on
- Cut your clean potatoes into the shape you would like to stamp. We used half circles but you can stamp in any shape!
- Apply paint evenly to one edge of potato stamp
- Press firmly down on your paper or fabric surface
- If you would like to combine two potato shapes to make one full color-blocked circle, place both potato stamps before lifting the first, as shown below.
- If desired, fill in design more fully after stamping the basic shape.
What to block print on to
We choose to block print onto a canvas art supplies portfolio, we have holding our coloring pages and supplies!
More block printing and stamping tutorials
Once you start stamping you won’t want to stop. We know from experience. Though block printing is probably our favorite method, there are plenty of other fun ways to make your own design. Try this method for stamping onto a ceramic plate.
What other unexpected supplies have you used to block print? We would love to hear! Comment below