Was anyone else enchanted by the jewels Meghan Markle wore on her wedding day? The tiara was impressive, yes, but it was the aquamarine stunner she wore to the reception that really stole the show in my opinion! Originally belonging to Princess Diana, the aquamarine ring was a special gift to Meghan from Harry’s mother’s collection. Unfortunately, I don’t see myself acquiring any large or precious gemstones in my near future, so I had to improvise. We made 3 Paper Gem Accessories to for you to wear to on special occasions, the workplace, or if you’re feeling extra, the grocery store! The necklace and earrings are great for everyday accessorizing, and the tiara is fun for birthday or bachelorette parties. Just follow some simple origami steps to make these beauties and a bit of glue and string turms them into something special!
Learn how to make 3 Paper Gem Accessories!
3 Paper Gem Accessories
- Paper in various colors
- Bone folder for making crisp folders
- Hot glue gun
- Hand sewing needle
- Earring posts, we used clip-ons!
- Make paper gemstones in various colors and sizes using the tutorial below for the bipyramid shape (this video is also super helpful!) and go HERE for the diamond tutorial.
- To make earrings, choose two shapes of varied sizes, and make two sets. We used two small yellow bipyramids and 2 medium sized bipyramids
- Using a needle and thread, thread the two different sized gems together, tie knots at the bottom and top and add a dab of glue to secure.
- Hot glue earring posts to the back of the small triangle.
- For the necklace, thread a number of paper gems together with a needle, pricking the needle through the points on the gems.
- Ties knots at both ends of the gems and secure with a dap of glue.
- Cut thread edges to desired lengths.
- For the crown, print the included template, cut out, and glue on gems.
To make the origami bipyramid:
- Cut a strip of paper with an even width. The width and length should be at least 1:4 or 1:6. We used widths of .5 inch, 1 inch, 1.5 inches, and 2 inches. Fold a small triangle on one end.
- The fold backward at the end of the triangle and repeat fold like an accordion.
- Fold the straight lines between the diagonals again to change the fold direction. Form the Bipyramid by rolling the shape along. There should be 4 faces to the pyramid. The more times you go around, the stronger the triangle will be. The thicker the paper you use, the fewer times you’ll need to wrap around and you can trim the strip of paper off.