by contributor Corrie Beth Hogg of The Apple of My DIY
DIY Flower Pot Hat
1. Remove the plastic and cardboard liner from inside the pot. It should come out easily, I had to run a butter knife along the inside edge to break the little bit of glue. You are left with a basket with no bottom! This is what you want, it allows space for the curve of the head and hair.
2. Sew on the elastic headband to each side of the basket. Be sure to sew it across the center and stretch the band slightly. You’ll want to use 8-10 stitches on each side, really make it secure.
3. Cut a piece of foam to fit inside your pot. Cover the foam with a circle of brown paper and adhere with glue stick.
4. Insert the foam and paper into your pot to form the ‘dirt’. Secure in place with T-pins. Make sure you are piercing the basket and going through to the foam. This helps hold everything in place, especially while dancing!
5. Assemble your flower pot hat! If you’d like to add more height like I did, you can make a few african mask plant leaves. To do that, you just cut out the shape, add details with white paint, glue a wire to the back and cover the wire with a scrap of paper. As you are assembling your plant, if the leaves are moving around too much for your liking, add a dot of hot glue to the base where the wire meets the foam. Once you are dressed to impress in your pot head (ha! just kidding) use bobby pins to help hold the elastic band in place and have fun! How cute is my friend Kate in this hat? Adorable!