We could have bought one for her as our gift, but what’s the fun in that when you can make it yourself and then have that added special sentiment? We made a template just for it so you can either hand cut it or put it into your craft cutter.
DIY Paper Gold Star crown
- Star Template
- Gold Leaf (we like this brand)
- Gold Leaf adhesive
- Gold Foil Brush
- Gold ribbon
- Glue gun
- x-acto knife
- craft cutting machine (optional)
- Using the template cut and out as many stars as you will need. The amount of stars you need will vary depending on the size of the head you are creating the stars for. All of the large stars have 3 stars stacked and the small stars are stacked with two.
- We used a craft cutter to cut out stars but you can do this with scissors or an x-acto knife.
- Once you have the right amount of stars cut out you will gold foil them.
- To gold foil the stars you will apply a small amount of gold leaf adhesive, allow 10 seconds to dry and apply a sheet of gold leaf.
- Allow 2-3 minutes for the gold leaf to set and then gently brush away using your soft bristle brush.
- Repeat step 5 on the other side. If you feel it looks okay you can just cover one side, however, Later on you will turn the edges up slightly which may reveal more color than you would like to see of the back. We covered both sides.
- Once all of your stars are foiled you will begin to stack them.
- To stack your large stars you will use a variation of three sizes of large stars and to connect them you will use a small dab of hot glue. Be sure you are placing them correctly because if you have to pull it off to replace it it will pull off the gold leaf.
- For the small stars you will repeat step 6 however you will only stack 2 of the small ones.
- Once all of the stars are stocked correctly you can begin laying them out on top of the string so you can adjust the placement and check that you have enough to make sure you have enough of the stars.
- Once they are all positioned correctly you can apply them to the ribbon with a small hot glue dab to the gold ribbon.
- Once all the stars are attached you will use a dab of hot glue to connect your ribbon ends, try to strategically place your stars so that the stop where the ribbons overlap is covered by a star.
Would love to see if you make it! Tag us with #LarsMakes so we can take a lookie!