How to celebrate Memorial Day
What are some of your Memorial Day traditions? Here at Lars, our holiday plans usually include hot dogs. After that, maybe a dip in the pool, and lots of time with family! However, this Memorial Day might look a little different than what we’re used to. (Much like everything else these past few months.) So, this has us thinking about how we can celebrate new, or at least new to us, traditions! We are taking this opportunity to remember the sacrifices people have made out of love for their country. Today, we’re pulling inspiration from Remembrance Day, with our very own paper poppy pins!
In addition to roasting up some hot dogs this Monday, add this project to your family activities! Not only are these paper poppies super easy to make, but the pin is so sweet you’ll want to wear it all summer long! We love the way these turned out and can’t wait for you to make your own paper poppies!
How to make a paper poppy pin for Memorial Day
All supplies are linked on Amazon Prime so you can make your pin in time for Memorial Day!
- Cardstock in red, green, and black
- Embroidery floss in red and green
- glue gun
- pin backing
- First, download and print your templates
- Cut out three “petals” from the red” template.
- Cut out a circle from the black using your template. This is your stamen. Make tiny incisions into the circle as close to each other as possible all the way around the perimeter. Curl the edges of the stamen with a pencil and cup them so that they are as vertical as possible.
- Make the center that goes inside the stamen by gluing the four corners together. Also, glue the bottom to the inside of the stamen.
- Add embroidery stitches to the inside of the petals and to the leaves.
- Glue the petals together so that they evenly overlap each other.
- Glue the center onto the top petal.
- Add the leaves to the underside.
- Finally, add a pin backing to the back.
- Start a new tradition and wear your poppy pin this Monday!
Other poppy projects
As self-proclaimed “poppy ladies” we think poppies fit in ANYWHERE. As cake toppers, in a summery flower garland, or even covering an entire wall! You can make paper poppies as intricate and life-like as you choose. So, click on any of the projects above different methods for making your own. Some are simple enough for the entire family to help with, like these, and some look real enough to add to a bouquet.
Teach your kids about the sacrifices we honor on Memorial Day with the help of this poppy coloring page. In addition, anyone can learn how to draw a poppy flower with this quick tutorial from our Flower Drawing Challenge.