Art has always been a part of my life. From my uncle’s paintings hanging up in my childhood home to my elementary art teacher and her floral dresses, there was never a question the ability to create was within me. It has been my compass, safe haven, and joy, even when I found it challenging. I believe art should be a part of every child’s life and that’s why Lars is launching a week of crafts to do with your littles: first off is our DIY Kids Charcuterie Board.
Fit for any adult or kid party, this DIY charcuterie board will feature the best crackers, cheeses, and fruit a crafter can arrange on the prettiest of pizza peels. Take that Lunchables! There is still a lot of summer left for you and your kids to have fun, so let’s start now! Who knows, this DIY Charcuterie Board may even have you upping your own appetizer game.
Make Your Own DIY Kids Charcuterie Board
Did you know the charcuterie board actually originates from 15th century France? Although curing meats dates back to the Romans, it took the French to aesthetically arrange it (of course). I’m a sucker for a charcuterie board and now your kids can have their own hors d’oeuvres—just without the picky eating!
- Using a pencil, draw out your design on the border and handle of the pizza peel.
- Mix the paint to get your desired colors.
- Paint your design. This is a fun place where kids can get involved in the process. If you’re worried about the food safety of your paint avoid painting the center of your pizza peel so there’s plenty of space where food can rest on unpainted wood.
- Let your paint dry.
- Cut your cheeses and fruits into flat slices, then cut them into fun shapes with cookie cutters.
- Arrange all of your ingredients on the board and enjoy! When you’re not hosting a fabulous party or arranging snacks for lucky kids, you can hang this on your wall for beautiful and functional decor.