It feels so good to get outside and spend time with friends again! Two things that I have loved this summer more than ever before are picnicking and fresh fruit! I mentioned it in our post about Bastille Day. The perfect food to bring on a picnic is watermelon, and what better blanket bring on said picnic than a DIY watermelon picnic blanket?
Below you will find the tutorial to make your own hand-dyed watermelon blanket! Plus our top picks for a colorful picnics to fill National Picnic month!
And explore all of our watermelon themed projects from Lars days past, like these friendship bracelets, a printable tablecloth for your ~fancier~ picnics, and this peter pan style collar in the shape of – you guessed it, a watermelon slice!
National Picnic Month + Watermelon Day
It’s almost August, which is National Picnic Month, and Watermelon day happens to be in August too! August 3rd is the day to whip out those blankets, slice up some fruit, and head outdoors. Having an adorable (and on-theme) picnic blanket is the cherry-on-top for the perfect picnic.
This fabric stated out as a tablecloth that we turned into a cozy picnic blanket! If you’re reminded of the Harry Styles video, just know this was our idea first 😉 It was planned with friends and family in mind, all having a good time out in the summer sun.
Last year we loved this DIY watermelon picnic blanket because it’s the perfect size for social-distancing. But this year I’m glad we made such a huge picnic blanket so that we can fit more friends on it! Just add some delicious food (like this watermelon limeade), outdoor games, and fun activities and you’re set!
Watermelon Sugar High
If you just can’t get enough of all things watermelon sugar, let me point you in the right direction. Obviously, there’s the song of the summer by Harry Styles for all you fangirls. We have a super cute tutorial on watermelon friendship bracelets, and I am hoping to cover my arms in them like sleeves. Feel free to send me one! If you love the idea of a picnic but hate the “outside” part, try this watermelon tablecloth instead. This one is all paper, and easy enough that you could make it a family craft. If you’re still not satisfied, check out this roundup post with a bunch of cute watermelon ideas! We’ve got everything from doormats to lemonade.
DIY Watermelon Picnic Blanket Tutorial
See how to make the DIY watermelon picnic blanket below!
- round white cotton tablecloth (here’s one!)
- green and pink dye prepared according to instructions
- clothes pins
- black fabric paint
- paint brush
- black Pom Pom trim
1. Fold a round table cloth in half, then in quarters, then fold again until you are life with a small triangular section
2. Mark with clothes pins where you want the green dye to end along the outer edge and where you want the pink dye to end. Leave a white gap between the two colors.
3. Dip edge of tablecloth into green dye, stopping at clothes pin. Keep cloth submerged for approximately 5 minutes or until desired color
4. Dip innermost part of tablecloth into the pink dye, then stop at the second pair of clothes pins. Submerge approximately 5 minutes or until desired color is reached
5. Let rest for 20 minutes, then remove clothes pins and spread cloth out to continue drying for a few hours or overnight
6. Hand paint seeds onto blanket in a radial pattern, being careful not to let paint leak through cloth. Let dry completely
7. Sew Pom Pom trim onto outer edge of blanket
Colorful ways to complete your picnic for National Picnic Month