It seems like the tradition of doilies for Valentine’s Day has been around forever. It might be that they seem to be everywhere at this time of year. Or maybe it’s just that they’re just so lovely. Either way, we decided to accept the challenge and make our own version! Now, I have to give credit where credit is due. One of our talented interns, Chelsea, tackled this project and I have to say she did a spectacular job! The perfect blend of delicate and unique, these are a breath of fresh air from your traditional, mass-produced doily.
With the custom designs featuring floral motifs, these doilies are full of delicate whimsy. Add in the subtle hearts and intricate flourishes and it’s hard not to be convinced. Are you ready to learn how to make your own?
How to Make a Doily Valentine
- First, upload your svg doily file into the cricut design space.
- Meanwhile, put your sheet of cardstock paper onto the adhesive cutting mat. We used yellow, silver, pink, orange, and teal.
- Next, select heavy cardstock paper type (this generally does a better job cutting through a regular weight cardstock).
- Press go and wait for the cricut maker to finish cutting the design!
- When the design has finished, gently pull it up from the adhesive mat. Make sure to go slow enough so it doesn’t rip. Use a scraper tool to remove the small paper pieces from the mat once the main sheet of paper is removed.
- Now, simply repeat the process until you’ve made the amount you’d like.
- You’re done! See how easy?
What To Do With Your Doily Valentines
I love that these doily valentines are as versatile as they are delicate and beautiful. You can leave them plain or write a sweet note on them. But you can also place them under a vase of flowers (real or paper) or candle or use them as a decorative element and tape some fancy chocolate to them. I mean, you could really pair them with anything festive and valentine’s-related and they would add a whimsical touch of love to your gift.
What are you going to do with your doily valentines? Let us know in the comments!
Did you love this tutorial on how to make your own doily valentine? Well it turns out we have quite a few valentine’s-related posts that might be right up your alley! Interested in more DIY valentine crafts? Check out this post, which is full of DIY crafts that are appropriate for the love day. And don’t forget about our sweet little DIY painted valentine box–you’ll need something to put your valentines in, too. Bonus: you can help your kids make their own and they can bring one to school. If you’re wanting a quick valentine that’s also cute, check out this post and our shop. We have endless options of adorable printable valentines! Need gift ideas? Try our valentines gift guides for men and women. And if you want ideas of what to do on Valentine’s Day, here are some Valentine’s Day activity ideas to get you started.