Independence Day is almost upon us! Naturally, it’s a perfect excuse for a party. Well, we’re here to help you with the decorations. This Fourth of July, celebrate with these festive cake topper sparklers!
These may look familiar to you. You’re not crazy! These are a variation on our New Years sparklers, this time with festive Fourth of July colors to replace the gold. Follow along to see how to make this easy, patriotic craft!
Sparklers and Fireworks on the Fourth
You can’t get much more classic than sparklers and fireworks on the Fourth. And I happen to love that these cake topper sparklers, in addition to being adorable, are not a fire hazard. With two little kiddos, I don’t love the idea of sparklers and fireworks that could cause injuries and fires with a simple accident. Jasper has just enough energy that I’d rather err on the side of caution, know what I mean?
The other perk about these cake topper sparklers is that you can keep them for years to come! Make them a tradition and add them to cakes and cupcakes every Fourth of July. Don’t live in the U.S.? Not to fret! Use these sparklers to celebrate any occasion. And that goes for those in the U.S., too. Once the Fourth of July is over, keep using these pretty little sparklers to celebrate birthdays and other special occasions all year long.
How to Make Cake Topper Sparklers for the Fourth
Here’s how to make your own cake topper sparklers:
- First, cut three 12 inch by 5 inch strips of cellophane. We used red, silver, blue and pink. Gold, this iridescent option and this colorful set are all great options, though! You can also use ribbon or tissue paper.
- Now create a fringe effect with each strip by cutting parallel lines down the full strip, making sure never to cut all the way to the edge of your material.
- Once all 3 strips are fringed, take your dowel and begin gluing one strip on to the top of the dowel. Start on one side and twist it around the skewer, adding a dab of glue when needed to keep it in place.
- Do that for each strand creating 3 tiered layers at the top of the skewer.
- Last, simply add 1 thin piece of cellophane around the bottom of the 3 tiers for the finishing touch!
Loved this tutorial on how to make cake topper sparklers and interested in more Fourth of July crafts? Step right this way! You can try out these Paper Firework Cake Toppers, to start with. Need more decoration ideas? You won’t want to miss 3 bunting ideas or this brand new Fourth of July wreath! Also see this compilation of Fourth of July projects. Then head to our shop to check out our Fourth of July content!