Today’s repurposed project is from Therese Wikman of Miss Valentine Vintage, queen of all things vintage and upcycled!
I was cleaning out my closet the other day and found an old pair of leather oxfords. There’s nothing wrong with the shoes, but I’m starting to feel bored with them. Since I love to give stuff a second life, I thought – why not paint them? So here we go!
DIY paint your shoes
- Pair of leather shoes
- Leather paint in different colors (acrylic craft paint will also work, but it’s not as durable)
- Paint brushes of various sizes
- Water and soft cloth
- Aceton (to remove existing polish)
- Masking tape (optional)
1. Start by cleaning dirt and soil from your shoes with a wet cloth. Then prepare the leather by removing existing polish and coatings with acetone.
2. Mask of some areas if you want to make sure that the paint doesn’t smudge off as you go along.
3. Be inspired and start painting! Stripes, dots, checks, stars, bigger blocks of color – whatever you feel like!
I used 2 colors, mint green and metallic gold. I ended up painting gold dot’s on the toe and heel parts of the shoes. Then I made two blocks of color and painted them in green and gold.
Be careful if you are using acrylic craft paint to cover big areas of your shoes, it might end up cracking. Craft paint is more suitable for patterns like dots and stripes, and whole blocks of paint should preferably be made with leather paint.
Now put on your upcycled shoes and dance!