My illustrator friend, Michele, is one of the most clever people I know. For Christmas she gifted me a pin that she had created our of Shrinky Dink and I thought it was the most magical thing in the world. I had never even heard of it. And yes! I am a baby from the 80s! I don’t know where I was. I decided to catch up on lost time and make some Shrinky Dink Valentine’s Day pins for our Galentine’s Heart, Hand, Eyes, and Lips brunch, which we will be releasing on Wednesday. They are super easy to make and, being a kid’s toy, super fun too. All you do is draw it, place it in the oven, then it shrinks down to half it’s size. Glue a pin to the back and you’re set!
We mixed ours in with some gems that we backed with pins, as well as googly eyes.
See below for the full tutorial!Materials:
- Shrinky Dinks set (all you need are the blank sheets)
- heart, eye, lips clouds templates for drawing
- permanent markers (we used these ones)
- super glue
- pin backings
- Follow the instructions on the box for the Shrinky Dinks set
- Draw your design onto the sheets (remember that it shrinks down by 1/2 – 2/3 its size)
- Get creative with your colors and outline color choices
- Once it’s out of the oven and cool, glue a pin to the back.
- Repeat as many times are you want!
Model photos by Jessica Peterson | other photos by Brittany Jepsen