Three cheers for the red, white, and blue and what better way to celebrate the fourth of July than with some cake. Frosting please! We created this cute origami stars and stripes cake topper with easy to find materials so you don’t have to spend time searching for unique materials. Paper only! And the origami stripes would be perfect to hand over to your kids for a fun challenge. See the full tutorial below!
- red paper
- blue paper
- white paper
- red acrylic paint
- paint brush
- glue stick
- glue gun
- Cut out 18 red “stripes from paper” about 1/2″ by 1.5″.
- Cut out 10 white strips in the same dimensions.
- Paint the skewers red.
- Make 8 origami stars out of blue paper.
- Fold the “stripes” in half and glue in half over a piece of red thread evenly spaced about 1/4″. Make sure the string has about 6 extra inches on each side.
- Thread your needle and enter the star in the upper half of the star so it doesn’t tilt when it’s hanging on the string.
- Hang your threads on the skewer. Glue gun in place if necessary.
How to make an origami star:
- Cut a strip of printer paper or other thin paper 1/2″ wide.
- Tie a knot in the paper at one end.
- Tuck under the tail of the knot, and trim if necessary.
- Fold the paper loosely around the pentagon, alternating sides until you reach the end.
- Tuck under the tail once you’ve run out of paper. Trim if necessary.
- Gently press along the sides of the pentagon to puff into a star shape.