Paul got some really good skates as a present earlier this year and I was going to wait to see if I was going to invest as much time in skating as him to know if I should buy some skates, but I recently came across some skates at a used sporting goods shop for $9 so yeah, I made the big investment. They were white, leather, and classic, but I thought they could use a little makeover. Cue DIY painted roller skates.
DIY Painted Roller Skates
- I cleaned off the skates with all purpose cleaner first so that they would be all clean for the paint.
- The skates still weren’t all white so I decided to paint them all pink first and then apply white stripes.
- I used a flexible sewer’s measuring tape to create the lines for the stripes, because the skates were a bit 3D and a ruler wouldn’t work on it. A measuring tape allows you to contour to the shape.
- I hand painted the stripes on because painter’s tape didn’t adhere well to the leather.
- Finish off by following the instructions for the triple thick glaze as a finishing coat.
When was the last time you went skating? I love it so much but I still stink! Ha!
Photos by Anna Killian | Model Michelle Larney