Sometimes I want to live the life of the rich and famous and just go out a spend all my money on Mara Hoffman dresses, Loeffler Randal shoes, and vintage Chanel bags. Sometimes is actually a lot of times. Instead, I’ll just stick with Asos dresses that we jazz up with painted designer accessories! All my problems are solved! This DIY Tromp L’oeil Dress was inspired by the classic art technique that uses realistic imagery to create the optical illusion that the depicted objects exist in three dimensions. So basically, when someone sees you, they’ll think you have dozens of Chanel bags! You can pick any article of clothing that needs a refresher and add a Tromp L’oeil accessory! Think strings of pearls, a collar and button band, or a crossbody bag. It’s a quirky way to personalize your pieces.
Transform your own wardrobe with fabric paint!
DIY Tromp L’oeil Dress
- Clothing article of your choice. Shop our dress HERE
- Fabric paint. We used Black, white, and gold.
- A piece of cardboard to stick into your dress so paint doesn’t leak through to the backside.
- Make sure you pre-wash your garment before you begin to paint on it.
- Slip your piece of cardboard into your clothing piece or underneath the base layer.
- Decide what you want to paint onto your clothing. It might be helpful to sketch it out on a piece of paper first.
- Using the fabric paint, paint your design onto your clothing.
- Let dry for 24 hours before you wear it.
Photography by Jane Merritt | Painting by Drew Toolsen