How to make your own egg carton vase
- Measure the circumference of the pot you would like to cover
- You can use any and all egg cartons! We had an egg carton from a bulk pack of eggs which was excellent for this project. If you do not have any clean cartons on hand you can also use these
- Depending on the type of carton you have, you can manipulate it by folding the spots for the egg cartons in half to create a ridged look or you can just begin to wrap it and match up the edges.
- If your desired size is larger, smaller, too short or too tall than the size achievable by cutting or folding the carton to the correct size you can use a ruler and exact knife to cut the carton down to the desired size and glue them using hot glue.
- If you are using 12 count egg cartons you will need to separate the lid from the base. You can use scissors or a craft cutting knife.
- To begin forming the holders you will connect the pieces by gently and slightly bending them so that you can create a circle or manipulating the cartons to achieved the ridged look.
- If your pieces aren’t staying in the circle as you would like, you can cut a strip of paper to the size you would like your pot cover to be.
- Using the glue gun, close the strip of paper into a circle that is the correct size and place small amounts of glue on the carton and attach it around the piece of paper to hold the cartons in a circular form. You will still need to attach separate pieces of carton together with hot glue.
- Once your pot cover is the correct size and secured together with hot glue you can paint or spray paint it. Find our favorite spray paint colors here.
- Once painted and dry you can place your holder on your plant!
Additional quarantine creativity ideas
You can also place paper flowers or flowers that don’t require watering into the vase you are about to make! Find our favorite paper flower tutorials here!
Note: If you decide to place paper flowers, or pens or whatever you heart desires you can cut a piece of cardboard to the desired size and attach it to the base with hot glue!
Crafts using cardboard and other recycled materials
For other recycling crafts that you can make with supplies you have around the house, try these!
Other resources for sustainability
Click here for our roundup of the prettiest and most eco-friendly products out there to help you cut down on waste!