While I definitely don’t live the lifestyle described above, a colorful and eco-friendly reusable lunch sack is within my reach. I think it’s safe to say that it’s within yours, too! And maybe one day we’ll all be there with our imaginary put-together dream girl, living our best lives.
Make Your Own Reusable Lunch Sack
- First pick out your colors! We used three colors for each lunch sack.
- Download and print the DIY Reusable Sack Lunch Pattern.
- Measure out and cut your fabric. You’ll need two different colored rectangles that are 6×10″ for the front and back of the bag and two of the same colored rectangles that are 4×10″ for the sides of the bag.
- Pin the rectangles together along the long sides.
- Sew all the sides together. This will make a long strip.
- Press all the seams flat.
- Pin the end rectangles on the long side together (with the right sides together). This will make a loop.
- Sew the rectangles together and press the seams flat.
- Fold the fabric at one opening on the loop back toward the seam side half an inch. Fold it over again to hide the raw edge and pin.
- Sew the hem that you just pinned.
- Now let’s finish the bottom of the bag. Pin the bottom of the lunch sack together so that the seams between the front and back meet on either side of the side fabric.
- Sew the bottom of the lunch sack closed.
- From the bottom where you just sewed the lunch sack closed, set it on a flat surface so that the base forms a rectangle with triangular flaps coming off each side.
- Pin the triangular flaps and sew them from corner to corner. Repeat this for the other side. Now that the 2 triangular flaps are sewed cut off the excess fabric.
- Turn your lunch sack right side out and put together a great sack lunch! Yum!
Looking for more back to school inspiration? Check out these back to school stickers (and find them in our shop), this whiteboard upgrade, this apple paper lunchsack DIY, these creative homeschool activities, these dorm room tips and tricks, and more!