Gift topper idea
One of my favorite ways to jazz up a gift is to keep some bright wrapping papers in my arsenal and then add on a cute gift topper. That could be a pretty ribbon or gift tag. Here, I took a more artistic approach and cut out a bird out of black paper and added in some cute details with paint. It’s simple yet striking, no?! It’s a fun little project for feeling like you’re reaching your creative quota for one day.
Solid colored wrapping papers
It all starts with some awesome solid colored wrapping papers in great colors. Here are some great options that you can find in a bundle if you’re looking to add to your gift wrap station. Here’s another brand in really great color options.
Bird gift topper
Hopefully you already have everything you’ll need for this one since it’s so simple, but if not, here’s what you’ll need!
- black cardstock paper
- thin paint brush
- white gouche, acrylic or paint marker
- peach acrylic paint or peach paper
- black pen
- bird template SVG and PDF
- craft cutter or scissors
- paper adhesive mounts (we love this brand) or mini brads
- Start by cutting out the shape of the bird with scissors or on your craft machine*
- Paint decorations on the bird with white paint or marker (marker is easier to control if you don’t have much experience with painting)
- Affix a paper adhesive mount to the back of the wing for the frontal wing and to the front of the bottom of the wing for the back wing.
- Cut out the flag for the bird and if you’ve cut it out on black paper (like we did) paint it peach.
- Write in your gift tags on the flag part.
- Gift it away!
Of course, you can get into the spirit of decoration and go wild painting and I say have fun with it! This project is one that is meant for getting out your creativity.
Here are some more gift topper ideas:
Show us your projects on Instagram by using the hashtag #LarsMakes
Photography and crafting by Ashley Isenhour