Photography by Alpha Smoot
Crafting by Carli Randolf
Art directed by Brittany Jepsen
DIY ghost tablecloth tutorial
- Face form
- Corn starch
1. Make starch. Pour 2 cups of water into a microwave-safe container. Add 1 cup of corn starch. Mix well.
2. Microwave it in 30 second installments until it gets thick. Will take about 2 minutes long. Let it cool, but not get cold.
3. Coat your piece of cheesecloth (I recommend doubling it to make it stronger) in the cornstarch.
4. Drape the cheesecloth over your face form making sure to give detail to the face part. Really work your fingers into the facial expression. We used a mannequin head but you can find face forms at Michael’s or Joann. Put freezer paper underneath so it makes it easy to pull off.
5. We alternated between using a hairdryer and letting it air dry. It makes it easy to pull it off the surface.
6. When it’s completely dry, use a butter knife to separate the layers.
7. Create a table runner on your table by bunching up layers cheesecloth. Insert your faces in the bunches. Each face was ended up being about a 12″ square.
Add some candles and greenery to your table for the finishing touch. Muhahahaha. Check out the full spread at our tortured artist party here, and view the tortured artist costumes here.
More decor ideas for Halloween
If this DIY ghost tablecloth grabbed your attention, you can browse through MORE Halloween decor ideas in the Lars archives. Our favorites include this DIY rainbow pumpkin arch, these DIY wood transfer plaques, and creepy printable art decor to match your equally spooky ghost tablecloth. You can also check out more Halloween decor inspiration on our Pinterest board here.