Advent calendars are one of my favorite parts of the holiday season! Who doesn’t love counting down the days to Christmas with sweets or fun little trinkets?
This DIY Christmas bulb advent calendar is both functional and decorative! It’s perfect for hanging up around the house as a colorful decoration while holding treats to open each day. Read below for the full tutorial!
I had the honor of contributing this DIY Christmas bulb advent calendar to the holiday issue of Sister Mag magazine, a German publication from some of my favorite ladies. I’ve contributed before (here… my hair!!!!) and this time I was in the company of a few other artists from around the world with an advent calendar idea.
This one is super easy to make, especially if you have a craft cutting machine, and I love hanging it in our office right now.
DIY Christmas bulb advent calendar
- craft knife
- paper in various bright shades (size A4) and black
- numbered flags template
- hole punch
- Cut out the two templates (the black topper and the colored bottom)
- Score the lines indicated with the dotted lines with the craft knife.
- Bring the sides together and glue the tab to the inside.
- Cut a piece of twine 6″ long and string through the holes at the top and bring all the sides together and tie.
- Bend the top tabs outward.
- Glue the black paper together and glue to the top of the tabs.
- Cut the twine pieces off.
- Cut out the numbered flags and punch
- String the bulbs together, inserting a numbered flag before the bulb.
More holiday crafts
Now you know how to make an advent calendar for the year, but what about decorating the rest of your home? We’ve got you covered here at Lars with so many different holiday crafts and tutorials. Check out these colorful candy lights to match your colorful bulb garland. We also have a washi tape tutorial for decorating your walls for the holidays. Looking for creative ways to wrap your gifts this year? We have holiday gift topper tutorials here and here. Plus, we have wrapping paper in the shop and tutorials for how to make your own gift bags! Check out the Lars shop for gift ideas as well. There are some great stocking stuffer ideas for all of your friends and family!