Peace, Love, and Sunshine
I immediately envisioned an early 70s hippie for our Love and Sunshine inspired costume; however, I find that DIY hippie costumes tend to be a little corny and I wanted something that you might actually find in your closet with a rad headpiece as the topper. I turned to cardboard extraordinaire, Merrilee Liddiard, to create some groovy headpieces. She nailed it! I love how they turned out. Plus, they’re just cardboard and paint. Can you believe it?! So cute!
Sunshine Cardboard Headpiece:
First up is our Sunshine Headpiece. Grab your bendable headband, a piece of cardboard, and your paints. We went with yellows, oranges, pinks, and burgundy, but you have full creative liberty here.
- Begin by finding a large and long piece of cardboard. Have someone trace around your head in the lower center portion of the cardboard to ensure proper fitting of headdress. This will be the center of the sun.
- Continue by tracing the sunshine template. Cut out.
- Paint your sun in fun colors, including a sun colored rainbow on the inside.
- Glue in a headband. (We recommend a bendable headband so that it will bend into place properly.). You are now ready to wear SUNSHINE!
Love Cardboard Headpiece:
Next up is our Love Headpiece. Grab your comb headband, a piece of cardboard, and your paints. We went with yellows, oranges, pinks, burgundy, and some blues, but you again have full creative liberty here.
- Cut out 42 hearts from cardboard. Paint 6 groups of 7 hearts in different rainbow colors. 7 burgundy, 7 pink, 7 peach, and so on.
- You’ll need a headband (we recommend a comb headband to help secure the hearts in place) and seven 14″ pieces of thick wire (we used baling wire but any strong jewelry wire or coat hanger, etc. will work)
- Begin by placing a wire in the middle of the headband and securing it by twisting the wire up and over the headband and back onto itself.
- Repeat this for the remaining 6 wires, spacing apart evenly.
- Glue on your cardboard hearts starting from bottom up.
- Finish by gluing on all remaining hearts. Let dry and then you are ready to wear LOVE!
Finally, grab your 70s appropriate attire (flared pants and skirts welcome), and don’t forget to grab some coordinating shoes to boot. Don your freshly made headpiece and you’re ready to rock every Halloween party and get-together this year.
We’d love to see your costumes! Tag us with #LarsinCostume!