Raise of hands if your door could use a little freshening up! I know mine could. Somehow there’s a lull after the big holidays at the end of the year and the post-new year decorating is sometimes a little lacking. But what a shame! In my humble opinion, the cold, dreary winter months following Christmas are the ones that we need help with the most.
We all need a little something to keep that seasonal depression at bay, especially if the snow refuses to fly and the flowers won’t be here for another few months. Well today we’re here to help with an adorable new wreath that’s equal parts easy and beautiful. It’s just the thing for some quick Valentine’s Day decorating and the difference it makes in keeping our spirits up is amazing. Here’s our brand new DIY paper heart wreath!
DIY Paper Heart Wreath
To me, Valentine’s Day demands decorations that are beautiful and easy to make at the same time. We’re all back from the holidays, which means we don’t have as much down time as the blessed Christmas break gave us. This DIY paper accordion wreath is the perfect solution! Made with custom gradients that fold into hearts, it’s straightforward to make and the result is a lovely wreath of accordion gradients to get you in the mood for love day. I know I get so tired of seeing all the shades of brown, so this wreath is a breath of fresh air. Gentle pinks to welcome me in after a long day? Yes please! If you’re like me, tired of looking at all that brown outside, try this adorable wreath for a change.
How to Make a DIY Paper Heart Wreath
Without further ado, here’s how to make your very own DIY paper heart wreath.
Prepping the Hearts
- First, print off three copies of the pdf of our paper heart gradient printable found here. You should end up with 45 pieces of paper, each with a different gradient on it.
- Next, cut out each gradient.
- Start with one of the flat edges of the gradient and fold a thin strip in along the flat edge, roughly 1/4 inch wide.
- Continue stacking the folds back and forth, making an accordion fold as you go.
- Keep going until you reach the other flat edge. You should now have a long, thin strip of paper about a 1/4 inch wide.
- Now, fold the stack in half.
- To complete your heart, hot glue the center together along the flat edge.
- When the glue is dry, pull the paper gently apart to reveal the heart shape.
Prepping Your Wire Wreath Form
- To prep the wreath form, cut a long, narrow strip of pale pink crepe paper (about an inch thick).
- Now, wrap the crepe paper around your wire wreath form, securing with hot glue as you go.
- Continue until the entire wire wreath form is covered in a layer of crepe paper. Add an extra layer if you’d like it to be a little thicker.
Assembling Your DIY Paper Heart Wreath
Now you’re ready to assemble your DIY paper heart wreath!
- Using your hot glue gun, place a dab of glue on each heart and press onto the crepe paper-covered wreath form.
- Continue until the wreath is completely covered and as full as you’d like. For our wreath, we ended up using only 35 of the 45 hearts, but if you’d like, you can always make it a bit more full and add in all the hearts. And you can always add a fancy ribbon, like we did.
- Voilà! You’re done with your beautiful DIY paper heart wreath!
Styling Your Wreath
As you probably already know from past wreaths we’ve made, you don’t have to limit your wreath decorating to the front door. Yes, any door is a great place for a wreath, but it’s not your only option. Have a blank spot of wall handy? Fill in the gap with your heart wreath! Outdoor, indoor, against a window, in an area of the house that’s a little sparse on decorations, there are so many options.
We would love to see what you do with your beautiful DIY paper heart wreath!
Loved this tutorial on how to make a DIY paper heart wreath? You’ll probably love our other Valentine’s Day content! You can craft to your heart’s content with these lovely DIY valentines. Speaking of valentines, check out this post and our shop for endless options of adorable printable valentines. Need a box to put your valentines in? Our DIY painted valentine box is a spectacular option that doubles as a tissue box when you’re done with valentines. Oh, and if you’re looking for gifts for that special someone, you’ll definitely want to check out our Valentine’s Day gift guides for men and women. And here are some great Valentine’s Day activities!