The Lars team brainstormed 2021 costume ideas that reflected our most memorable moments from the past year, and we realized something. Picking a Halloween costume is a great opportunity for reflection! We always try to dress up as something that’s just right for the current year, which means that we spent some time looking back on our favorite (and sometimes least favorite) moments, events, and pop culture icons.
Here’s to another year of unforgettable moments!
It wouldn’t be a list of 2021 costume ideas without some mention of COVID. I know, I know, we’re all sick of hearing about it. But what’s scarier than a deadly disease (and a society that refuses to acknowledge how serious it is??) In order to keep from crying, we have to laugh. You could be:
- a mask. Or check out our Quilted Face Mask Coat from April Fool’s Day for a twist.
- a nasal test swab. After all, gross is good at Halloween!
- a vaccine syringe. You know those ketchup bottle costumes? I bet you could modify one into a vaccine with just a little craftiness.
- or mask costumes to coordinate with the costumes like this Mummy mask and this pumpkin mask.
Stay safe, everyone!
Movies and TV
You can’t go wrong with movie and TV-inspired costumes. Here are some of our ideas:
- Bridgerton. I’m all about the costumes and wigs from Bridgerton. Get some great inspiration from this pink Marie Antoinette costume from a few years ago!
- Queen’s Gambit-inspired chess pieces. Okay, technically it came out last year. But it was right before Halloween, so we didn’t have much time to put together costumes! Cut us some slack! And enlist your friends to be chess pieces with you.
- The Black Widow. We love a female superhero!
- Cruella. All right, all right, we also love a villainess!
2021 Current Events
- Tom Daley knitting. Did you catch Tom Daley’s amazing knitting skills during the Olympics? I have to admit, I’m not a huge sports watcher, but I could watch Tommy knit and purl between dives all day. Check out his Instagram account @MadeWithLoveByTomDaley and go Team Great Knittin’!
- Bernie with mittens. Speaking of yarn, this meme would be a great (and cozy!) costume.
- a boat stuck in the Suez Canal. There are so many hilarious ways you could do this: I’m thinking paper mache boats, all blue outfits with a sideways boat appliqué, the sky (or sea) is the limit!
- Olivia Rodrigo’s drivers license. Picture this: a big cardboard card that you rig so that your face fits where her face would go. I love this idea so much that if you don’t do it, I just might.
- Britney Spears. #FreeBritney!
- Frank Ocean’s alien baby from the Met Gala. This is still fresh on our minds, and it would be pretty easy: all you need is a sleeper set and some florescent yellow-green paint!
- Lady Gaga at the Inauguration. Her performance was incredible. Also, speaking of the inauguration, I’m still thinking about the beautiful moment when Jennifer Lopez yelled “una nación bajo Dios con libertad y justicia para todos!” during her musical number.
- Elon Musk, Grimes, and their baby X Æ A-XII. This would be a hilarious (and not too difficult) family costume for someone with a baby. I’d love to see you pull it off!
I’d love to see your Halloween costumes and hear about your 2021 costume ideas!
“Lady Gaga at the Inauguration. I’m still thinking about the beautiful moment when she yelled “una nación bajo Dios con libertad y justicia para todos!” during her musical number.”
Pretty sure that was Jennifer Lopez
Whoops! You’re right! Thanks for catching that. 🙂